Now Playing
99JAMZ
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
99JAMZ

celebrity news

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Leonardo DiCaprio shares emotional tribute to 'Gilbert Grape' mom Darlene Cates

Leonardo DiCaprio is going to miss Darlene Cates.

Cates, who played DiCaprio’s mother in the 1993 film “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape," died in her sleep over the weekend. She was 69 years old.

>> Darlene Cates, 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' star, dead at 69

On Tuesday, DiCaprio shared an emotional tribute to Cates on Facebook.

>> PHOTOS: Notable deaths 2017

“Darlene was the best acting mom I ever had the privilege of working alongside,” he wrote. “Her endearing personality and incredible talent will live on in the memories of those who knew her, and those who loved her work. My thoughts and prayers are with her family during this difficult time.”

>> See the post here

DiCaprio earned his first Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations for his role as Cates’ mentally impaired son. She later went on to act in small parts in “Touched by an Angel” and “Picket Fences.”

(H/T E! News)

SEE IT: 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' cast reunites on Instagram

This reunion should bring a smile to the faces of '90s kids everywhere.

>> Read more trending news

More than 20 years after "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" came to an end, the cast was pictured "chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool" Monday night in a photo shared to Instagram by Alfonso Ribeiro, aka Carlton Banks.

>> Is Will Smith becoming Uncle Phil? Internet freaks out over bungee-jumping selfie

"Always amazing to spend an afternoon with my Fresh Prince family," Ribeiro wrote in the post, which has more than 50,000 likes. "Wishing that James Avery was still with us to make this complete."

>> See the snapshot here

The photo features, from left, Tatyana Ali (Ashley Banks), Ribeiro, Karyn Parsons (Hilary Banks), Will Smith, Daphne Reid (Aunt Vivian) and Joseph Marcell (Geoffrey). Avery (Uncle Phil) died in December 2013.

Darlene Cates, 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' star, dead at 69

Rest in peace, Darlene Cates.

The actress who played Gilbert’s mother in the 1993 film "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" died in her sleep Sunday. She was 69 years old.

>> PHOTOS: Notable deaths 2017

Cates was reportedly discovered when she appeared on an episode of “Sally Jessy Raphael.” The show was titled “Too Heavy to Leave Their House.”

>> Read more trending news

On the episode, Cates opened up about her obesity and the pelvic infection that made her gain about 150 pounds. The screenwriter of “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape,” Peter Hedges, saw her on the show and decided to cast her in the role.

She later became one of the most iconic characters from the film.

>> Watch some clips from the movie here

Chance the Rapper seeks intern, Twitter responds

Chance the Rapper took to Twitter Monday to let fans know he could use the help of an intern.

>> Read more trending news

He said he is looking for “someone with experience in putting together decks and writing proposals” and later clarified that he’s seeking someone to fulfill a job.

The Chicago rapper then told Twitter users to pitch themselves to him. 

Nearly 3,000 people responded.

Some uploaded their resumes, while others explained important accomplishments. Others sent eager gifs.

When asked if there was a hard deadline for “applying,” the 23-year-musician said there wasn’t one because he is “trying to find someone specific.”

Chance donated  $1 million to public schools in Chicago earlier this month after meeting with Chicago Gov. Bruce Rauner. The two met to discuss funding for public schools in the city. Chance expressed disappointment and said he got “a lot of vague answers” from Rauner. 

 

Kim Kardashian says she'll try for baby No. 3

Less than two years after giving birth to her first son, Kim Kardashian has revealed she would like to have a third child, the reality television star said in a new promotional video for her family’s show on E!

>> Read more trending news

“I want my kids to have siblings, but the doctors don’t feel like it’s safe for me,” Kardashian says in the clip.

Both of Kardashian’s previous pregnancies were considered high-risk. 

During her first pregnancy, Kardashian had pre-eclampsia, a condition characterized by high blood pressure. During her second, she experienced placentia accreta, which happens  when the placenta attaches too deeply in the uterine wall.

Kardashian wrote about her pregnancy struggles on her website before delivering her son in 2015.

“I’m going to try to have one more baby,” Kardashian says in the clip, which teases scenes of the 36-year-old at a doctor’s office.

“I don’t want you to do something that would put you in danger,” Kris Jenner told her daughter. 

Kardashian and rapper Kanye West welcomed their first child, daughter North West, in June 2013. The couple wed in 2014, and welcomed son Saint West in December 2015.

Tomi Lahren booted permanently from The Blaze, report claims

The New York Post’s Page Six reports that Tomi Lahren has been booted off Glenn Beck’s The Blaze for good.

>> PREVIOUS STORY: Is Tomi Lahren getting ousted from The Blaze?

The news comes after the contentious commentator and her show caught a weeklong suspension from The Blaze following her appearance on “The View,” in which Lahren took a pro-abortion stance. She said it was “hypocritical” for conservatives who believed in limited government to also believe it right for a government to intrude on something as personal as an abortion.

“Glenn is reminding the world of his conservative principles by sidelining Tomi after she insulted conservatives by calling them hypocrites,” one source told Page Six.

>> Read more trending news

“He just couldn’t sit by and watch as Tomi Lahren said there’s no way for conservatives to justify anything other than being pro-choice.”

The news comes as Lahren, 24, appears to be accepting the inevitable, spending time with friends and planning a next step.

Over the weekend, she posted a photograph on Instagram with the caption, “Thanks Houston for showing 2 Dallas girls some good times after a rough week.” She added the caption #gonnabeokay.

>> See the post here

Antonio Banderas reveals he had heart attack, says it 'wasn't serious'

It’s been a tough year for actor Antonio Banderas.

According to The Associated PressTMZ and other outlets, the actor suffered a heart attack this year that left him with three stents in his arteries.

>> Read more trending news

Banderas confessed the news on a Spanish media channel. He revealed the heart attack took place on Jan. 26 and he is now in better heath. The actor added, “It wasn’t serious, and hasn’t caused any damage.”

He reportedly underwent surgery at a Swiss clinic.

“It hasn’t been as dramatic as some have written," he said.

WATCH: Jokesters make case for 12-foot Paul Walker statue at council meeting

If you’re ever trying to get a city council to listen to your proposition, opening your argument with, “What up, council?” is probably not the best way to begin. But that’s exactly what a jokester in San Clemente, California, did, and we can’t stop laughing at this guy and his fellow "surfer bro" friend.

In a now-viral video from a recent San Clemente City Council meeting, the young man identified himself as "freelance journalist" Chad Kroeger, which just happens to be the same name as the lead singer in the band Nickelback. Then he passionately made his case to have a statue of the late Paul Walker erected in the town.

>> Watch the video here

Kroeger claimed that his love for the late actor came when he was 11 and “my first love Ashley betrayed me by moving to Newport Beach.” In hopes of cheering him up, his father took him to see “The Fast and the Furious,” and he’s never looked back.

The prankster was followed by his cohort, identified as Bodhi Johnson, who added that the film "was epically life-changing."

>> Read more trending news

"It gave me the courage to ask out Shelby; it taught me to never back down, even if a super-tough crew of street racers come at you – stand tall," he said.

KCBS reported that the pair, who previously spoke at a Burbank City Council meeting, are featured in several comedic videos on YouTube.

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Cher drops from Flint water crisis movie, cites family issue

Cher will no longer appear as planned in “Flint,” a Lifetime original movie about contaminated river water that became a main water source in the Michigan city in 2014.

The announcement came weeks after news was released that the 70-year-old singer would star in and produce the film.

>> Read more trending news

Cher, who has helped donate more than 100,000 bottles of clean drinking water to the residents of Flint, cited “a serious family issue” as the reason for dropping out.

“This has been a project so near and dear to my heart, and I was truly looking forward to helping tell this story,” she said in a statement. “Unfortunately, I will be unable to leave Los Angeles during the scheduled filming as I am dealing with a serious family issue that prevents me from going on location for the April filming. I’m so glad that [producers] Craig [Zadan] and Neil [Meron] plan to move ahead, and I know that this Lifetime movie will be done beautifully.”

According to Deadline, producers have been in the process of casting other roles for “Flint,” but the film is still on track to begin production in Toronto next month.

The film is based on Time magazine’s February 2016 cover story by Josh Sanburn titled, “The Toxic Tap.”

Cher’s role was a Flint resident whose family was impacted by the crisis.

“Flint” is described as “a hard-hitting, fact-based drama that will explore the events that led to the toxic crime and shed light on politics of the poor management and the human element of residents who suffered and were ignored,” according to Variety magazine.

Katie Couric will also serve as an executive producer for the Sony TV-produced film.

This week, comedian Amy Schumer announced she will no longer star in another Sony-produced film as previously planned.

>> Related: Amy Schumer drops out of live-action ‘Barbie’ movie

Amy Schumer drops out of live-action ‘Barbie’ movie

According to a new report from Variety magazine, actress and comedian Amy Schumer will not appear in the live-action “Barbie” film, as previously planned. 

>> Read more trending news

News that Schumer would star in the production was announced in December

This week, Schumer announced that she would no longer be able to participate in the production due to scheduling issues. 

“Sadly, I’m no longer able to commit to ‘Barbie’ due to scheduling conflicts,” the actress said in a statement to Variety. “The film has so much promise, and Sony and Mattel have been great partners. I’m bummed, but look forward to seeing ‘Barbie’ on the big screen.”

“We respect and support Amy’s decision,” a spokesperson for Sony said in a statement. “We look forward to bringing Barbie to the world and sharing updates on casting and filmmakers soon.”

Sony will more than likely have to stick with the previously planned June 29, 2018 release date since Mattel has already produced merchandise and plans with that date in mind. 

According to IMDb, the film is about a doll who sets off on an adventure in the real world after being expelled from ‘Barbieland’ for not being perfect enough.

Sony is still seeking a director for the comedy.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >