The Powerball jackpot moved closer to the $1 billion mark as no one matched all five numbers and the red Powerball on Monday night. Wednesday’s jackpot will be an estimated $835 million.
The numbers drawn Monday were 10-12-22-36-50 and the Powerball was 4. The multiplier was 2X.
Jackpot jumps to $835M
Update 12:08 p.m. EDT Sept. 26: The Powerball jackpot increased to $835 million when no one matched all of the numbers. The amount remains the fourth-largest in the promotion’s history but is moving closer to becoming the fourth Powerball prize to top $1 billion.
If someone wins the big prize on Wednesday, they will have two options: An annuity, in which the winner receives one immediate payment followed by 29 annual payments that increase by 5% each year; or the lump sum option. Choosing the second option will make the cash value amount approximately $390.4 million before taxes.
While there were no grand prize winners, three tickets in Florida and one in Oregon matched five numbers, giving their owners a $1 million prize, lottery officials said.
Original report: The last time someone won the Powerball jackpot was on July 19, when a $1.08 billion ticket was sold in California. That was the third-largest Powerball jackpot in the promotion’s history, lottery officials said.
Drawings are held every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Tickets, which cost $2 per play, are sold in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The odds of winning the grand prize are 1 in 292.2 million, according to Powerball.com.
Top 10 Powerball jackpots
- $2.04 billion – Nov. 7, 2022 (One ticket from California).
- $1.586 billion – Jan. 13, 2016 (Three tickets from California, Florida and Tennessee).
- $1.08 billion – July 19, 2023, drawing (One ticket from California).
- $835 million – Sept. 27, 2023 drawing.
- $768.4 million – March 27, 2019 (One ticket from Wisconsin).
- $758.7 million – Aug. 23, 2017 (One ticket from Massachusetts).
- $754.6 million – Feb. 6, 2023 (One ticket from Washington).
- $731.1 million – Jan. 20, 2021 (One ticket from Maryland).
- $699.8 million – Oct. 4, 2021 (One ticket from California).
- $687.8 million – Oct. 27, 2018 (Two tickets from Iowa and New York).
2023 Powerball jackpots won
- Feb. 6 — $754.6 million — Washington
- March 4 — $162.6 million — Virginia
- April 19 — $252.6 million — Ohio
- July 19 — $1.08 billion — California