View mobile site
Posted: September 25, 2014
GUANDONG PROVINCE, China
Update: Snopes.com states that this story is not accurate, and that the shocking images may be associated with a case from earlier this year involving raw pork or beef, not fish.
Original story: The man went to his doctor when he couldn’t get rid of stomach pains and itchy skin.
After an examination and x-rays, he was told the problem was tapeworms.
Lots of tapeworms.
Doctors at Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital in Guangdong Province in eastern China told the man it was likely he picked up the parasites by eating slices of raw fish, called sashimi.
The Journal Canadian Family Physician reports infestations like this are on the rise around the world.
Nancy Craig wrote, “The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi is a contributor."
It’s expected the man will be fine because treatment for the condition is simple and effective as long as the infection doesn’t reach the brain.
If it does, doctors say it can be fatal.
Guangzhou No. 8 People's Hospital
There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts.
Sign in or Register.
Sign up below to be added to our mailing list for the latest news, updates, access to exclusive contents, and more!
Take www.wedr.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the
Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!
Learn about careers at Cox Media Group
Portions of Content Provided by Rovi Corporation. © 2018 Rovi Corporation